Monday 11 November 2013

Raw Mexican Tacos




Now that I’m trying to get more raw meals into my diet, I felt I needed to start to look outside the old school salad ideas, don’t get me wrong I love a good salad, but variety is the key for me. I need to keep my taste buds guessing, otherwise I get bored.
So I was craving Mexican, I though ok can this be done raw, & low & behold after a little googling I found this recipe.
This recipe is just seriously delicious, it's perfect on a balmy day where you want a meal with flavour that leaves you feeling nourished & satisfied, yet you don’t feel heavy as you might with the old cooked meat/beantype taco meal.
What I adore about eating raw is I feel so much better physically once I’ve eaten.
I have all the energy & nutrients I need to function to my peak, without compromising on flavour  and my favourite foods. Of course that totally includes desserts..stay posted as I will soon be posting a raw dessert recipies.
Ok back to the taco,the cashew “Sour Cream” is super, I’m thrilled I’ve found a dairy free sour cream option, as I used to be a mega dairy girl, & sour cream was one of my weaknesses. Yay for finding raw healthy dairy free alternatives!
The taco filler (mince) is walnuts, yep I know what you’re thinking how does that work, ah but it SO works, I find it SO much more enjoyable than its meat/bean version. The texture is perfect & soaked/ (activated) walnuts absorb the taco seasoning beautiful.
A quick lowdown on walnuts,They are a  great source of those all-important omega-3 fatty acids.
In fact, a tiny ¼ cup serving is 94% of your daily recommended intake. So drop the supplements & grab some walnuts.


 Recipe inspired by My new Roots

Walnut Taco Mix
Ingredients:
1 cup raw walnuts- soaked/activated for 7 or more hours (can soak overnight)
2 Tbsp I used Brags all purpose seasoning, you can also use nama shoyu or tamari or coconut aminos.
1 tsp of Herbies Mexican spice blend
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil


Walnut Taco Mix Directions:
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor/vitamix on low, and just pulse to mix, roughly chop the walnuts. Be aware not to over-blend.


Cashew “Sour Cream”
Ingredients:
½ cup raw cashews (soaked/activated 1 hour)
juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp Braggs apple cider vinegar
5 Tbsp. water (approx.)

Cashew “Sour Cream” Directions:
1. Put all ingredients except water in a high speed blender/vitamix or food processor and blend, adding water one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. If you want a thick cream, use less water, for a thinner sauce, use more. (It’s unlikely to come out perfectly smooth, but a little texture is ok it still tastes incredible!)

Salsa, Ok I admit I cheated here, for those of you time restrained you could use  Spiral organic pre made salsa, as I did, but if you have the time please make your own salsa.

Salsa Ingredients:
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
½ orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
½ red onion or 4 green onions, minced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
½ clove garlic, minced
juice of ½ lime
1 tsp. raw honey
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt

Salsa directions:
1. Whisk the garlic, lime juice, honey, olive oil and sea salt in the bottom of a bowl and set aside.
2. Cut up the veggies into rather small pieces, chop the cilantro and add everything to the dressing bowl. Fold to combine and let sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavours to meld.

Taco elements:
2 ripe avocados (about ½ per person, I’m a big avocado fan so the more of this the merrier)
Leaves from a romaine lettuce, you can also always use Tuscan kale leaves.
1 x lime for squeezing
coriander for sprinkling


Bon Appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment